Friday, September 9, 2011

Welcome - Introduction of Myself!

Welcome to my blog.  My name is Trent Durst.  I wanted to tell you a little about myself to start with.  I will be giving more details about my life as we continue. 

I'm 33 years old and I have grown up in the same town since being born.  How many people can say that now days?  I LOVE East Texas.  I've been all over this country and I have never felt more at home than I do here.  East Texas is centrally located in the BEST bass fishing the country has to offer.  We have probably a dozen or more lakes within a one hour drive. 

As a kid my family spent all of our vacations located around lakes, rivers, and streams.  A camping family!  As a young kid I woke up on Saturday mornings excited about the weekend.  Unlike most kids running for cereal and cartoons I was running to watch Bill Dance, Hank Parker, and the Bassmasters on TNN.  I would often spend the rest of the day hopping from pond to pond, forest to forest in search of the next big adventure.  Unlike most kids who wanted to be a cop, fireman, ect I DREAMED of being like Bill Dance.  He started out fishing tournaments and later became a tv personality known for his flat bottom boat fishing show and funny antics.  Talk about a LIFE! 

So here we go.....my life continues much like any other kid.  The one thing that I knew for sure...was the dream I had.  I never have let that dream go....they say if you want something in life....go get it!  I've since sowed the ground and paved my way to where I am today.  I chose the marketing degree because it fit the world of bass fishing and my dream.  After getting out of school I thought a job would be waiting on me.  Oh, so un true.  Luckily I had worked at my families Office Supply Company since I was 15.  I chose to become a delivery driver (again) to make some money after being broke in college all those years.  About 6 months later a salesmen left.  With a little hesitation I took the position in sales.  Looking back that was the best, and most uncomfortable experience I have had in years.  Now I couldn't imagine my life with out sales!  So let's continue....I landed a job, what is next?  BOAT!  It was time to upgrade out of the 18' Monark with 55Hp Johnson!  It was time to start the pursuit of a tournament angler. 

After one or two years of getting my sales in order I was ready for the tournament trail.  A group of us guys all chipped in to take my old RV down to Toledo Bend and get a yearly lease at a RV Park.  A good friend of mine and I started out fishing BassChamps East Division.  After two "okay" tournaments I found a solo tournament on Toledo Bend.  I had found a nice group of fish the weeks before.  I had a feeling I could make it happen.  So here I go...I sign up for my first solo boater tournament on the biggest lake in the state of Texas (after only fishing the lake for 3 months).  I ended up tied for 4th place in the FLW BFL Cowboy Division.  The next tournament was on Sam Rayburn a month later.  I started putting my time and effort into that big lake!  I ended up catching 4 fish (2-5lbers) and getting 8th place! What a start!  After two tournaments I was ranked #1 in the state of Texas! AMAZING!  I had some rough finishes to end the season.  I finished 3rd for the year in points.  I was HOOKED!

For the next 7 years I have fished the BFL Cowboy Division, Texas Tournement Trail, FLW Everstart and BASS Central Opens.  I have yet to get another year like I had that first year.  I have learned so much about fishing multiple day tournaments over the last few years.  It's another game compared to a one day event.  Consistency becomes the GAME!  The last two years I have felt like I am just steps away from getting my chance....I'm always close to the winners or on the same pattern.  As the old timers tell me DON'T GIVE UP!  You can't win if you aren't in it to WIN!

The sport has gotten so expensive lately. The cost of tournaments is getting so high.  I guess I realized a couple years ago making and paying for the BASS Elites or the FLW Tour is out of my reach.  I personally think I could qualify, but there is no way this Poor Boy could afford a year on the tour.  A years entries into the Elites costing you around 55K without travel expenses.  I still have that dream....that you never know what could happen.  I keep the burning desire in my gut to make it!  It never goes away....call me a DREAMER!

Now you know a little about me....let's get going!

Formost I will be taking you along with me on my bass fishing tournaments as I fish the FLW Everstarts.  I will be updating my efforts, what is happening on the water, and what is working for the other competitors. 

I will be discussing many different topics in the world of bass fishing, from the latest news, products, and more HOT topics.  

I hope that you will check back from time to time and see the developments as we get closer to a new tournament season!

No comments:

Post a Comment